An elections related bill (HB 2102) that should be of great benefit to voters throughout the State is stuck in the House of Delegates Judiciary committee. HB 2102 redefines a Political Party and improves ballot access procedures for political parties such as the Mountain Party.
Briefly, HB 2102 would allow a political organization whose candidates for any statewide office (and not just for governor) achieved 1 percent of the vote for that office to be a political party for purposes of ballot access. Currently to remain a political party we have to invest enormous resources in our candidate’s campaign for governor. No other office qualifies us for continuing ballot access. HB 2102 would also define a political organization with more than 5000 registered voter members be classified as a political party, regardless of how many votes the party’s candidates polled for any office.
The text of HB 2102 is in PDF format here: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Text_HTML/2017_SESSIONS/RS/bills/hb2102%20intr.pdf and in HTML text here: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Status/bills_text.cfm?billdoc=hb2102%20intr.htm&yr=2017&sesstype=RS&i=2102
Please contact members of the House Judiciary committee as indicated below. Ask then to urge the committee Chair to put HB 2102 on the committee’s agenda, and to support the bill. You can say that HB 2102 expands democracy and encourages more voters to actually get out and vote for their favorite candidate. But say whatever you are comfortable saying as long as you make it clear that you support the HB 2102 and that you want to see it come up for a committee vote.
Here is contact information for House Judiciary committee members:
- Chairman John Shott – (304) 340-3252 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice Chair Roger Hanshaw – (304) 340-3252 email@example.com
- Delegate Barbara Fleischauer – (304) 340-3127 Barbara.Fleischauer@wvhouse.gov
- Delegate Shawn Fluharty – (304) 340-3270 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Andrew Byrd – (304) 340-3362 email@example.com
- Delegate Joe Canestraro – (304) 340-3151 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Moore Capito –(304) 340-3340 email@example.com
- Delegate Frank Deem – (304) 340-3137 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Tom Fast – (304) 340-3170 email@example.com
- Delegate Geoff Foster – (304) 340-3121Bill Sponsor firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Nancy Foster – (304) 340-3392 email@example.com.
- Delegate Ray Hollen – (304) 340-3136 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Phil Isner – (304) 340-3145 email@example.com
- Delegate Kayla Kessinger – (304) 340-3197Bill Sponsor Kayla.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Charlotte Lane –(304) 340-3183 email@example.com
- Delegate Chad Lovejoy – (304) 340-3280 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Ronald Miller –(304) 340-3184 email@example.com
- Delegate Riley Moore – (304) 340-3248 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate John O’Neal – (304) 340-3164 email@example.com
- Delegate John Overington – (304) 340-3148 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Mike Pushkin – (304) 340-3106 email@example.com
- Delegate Andrew Robinson – (304) 340-3156 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Kelli Sobonya – (304) 340-3175 email@example.com
- Delegate Amy Summers – (304) 340-3139Bill Sponsor firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delegate Mark Zatezalo – (304) 340-3120Lead Sponsor of Bill email@example.com